Mucon Powder Valves and Components
Mucon Oyster Super Leggera Hygienic Butterfly Valves for Pharmaceutical Powders
June 20th, 2017
Case Study –
Pharmaceuticals manufacturer requires the same cleaning and maintenance characteristics of the Mucon Oyster™ Compact Series Butterfly Valve but must be super light weight.
Product: Oyster™ Super Leggera Hygienic Butterfly Valve
Handling / Material: Pharmaceutical powders
Geo Location: Spain
Cleaning and maintenance characteristics of Oyster™ Compact series sanitary valve with significantly lower weight.
The Oyster™ Compact series valve is the most advanced general-purpose hygienic butterfly valve on the market and thanks to its unique design features it is exceptionally user-friendly and easy to maintain.
In this particular application, the manually operated valve is fitted to a stainless steel drum. As a result, the overall weight of drum plus the valve is critical.
The standard 10” Compact™ series butterfly valve is not a heavy valve compared to its competitors, but even so, the design team saw the necessity of reducing the weight further.
A new lower profile seal was designed and based on the redesign every single component of the valve was redesigned from scratch.
The new Oyster™ Super Leggera Valve. The new valve weighs 45% less than the standard model (7.2kg vs. 13.1kg), a saving of just under 6kg. The Super Leggera continued to use the Tri-Clover flange connection and the famous clamshell™ clamp system featured on the Oyster Compact Butterfly valve. These features are particularly useful to operators.
- Their unique clamshell™ clamp design enables tool-free strip down and reassembly in a few seconds
- Precision machined with all product contact surfaces in AISI 316L mirror polished to full Pharma specification
- The valve leaf and stem are of reduced thickness and all unnecessary metal has been machined away from the valve body and a new lightweight lever support and lever have been designed
- Silicone seal is FDA and USP Class VI compliant
- Tri-clover end connections enable straightforward hygienic fitting into host drum with standard components. The Super Leggera is also available with a lightweight clamp which is a great improvement over the commercially available cast items both in weight and hygienic appearance
Given the space restrictions and other inconveniences that apply in many pharmaceutical plants, a reduced weight valve is very often a considerable asset.
If you like this article, share it with your friends!